How We Help
Each year, Friends support the NAC Orchestra’s Music Education initiatives, both financially and through volunteering.
We provide awards and grants to support young people’s music programs and projects.
Many of our social activities also double as fundraisers. Music to Dine For! and the Embassy Chamber concerts are two of our biggest fundraising activities. The silent auctions, which we oversee at select concerts, are another major fundraiser.
Our volunteers participate in a variety of music related activities, from driving student musicians for the Summer Music Institute to organizing activities at TuneTown. See our volunteer section.
We provide awards and grants to support young people’s music programs and projects. These include the following:
- National Arts Centre Summer Music Institute (SMI) Young Artist Awards – two awards of $5,000 each
- NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition – one award worth $3,000 and the Young Musician Performance Award worth $500
- Kiwanis Music Festival – one senior scholarship worth $1,000 and two awards worth $250 each
- MusicFest – one award for the outstanding woodwind player worth $1,000
- Young String Performers Foundation – a contribution of $1,000
- OrKidstra program – a contribution of $1,000
- Ottawa Youth Orchestra Academy – a contribution of $1,000
- NAC SMI Young Artists Awards
- NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition
- Ethan Balakrishnan, violin, Ottawa
- Young Musician Performance Award
- Phoebe Robertson, flute, Ottawa
- Kiwanis Music Festival
- Jonathan Wong, clarinet, Markham
Support NACO Programs
Each year, Friends support the NAC Orchestra’s Music Education initiatives.
The money we raise through our various fundraising activities is used to help pay for the costs associated with:
- TUNETOWN (activities for young people that precede the presentations of the TD Family Adventures with the NAC Orchestra);
- Music Monday;
- Musical Adventures in My School program, in which ensembles of NACO musicians go into schools and give one-hour concerts;
For more details, see the reports of the NAC’s Music Education Department:
The Friends of the National Arts Centre Orchestra are a dedicated group working to support the orchestra in a variety of music related activities. Our volunteers have many responsibilities, including the following:
- drive student musicians for the Summer Music Institute;
- help at the Student Matinee concerts;
- help with auditions for the NACO Bursary concert;
- meet and greet people on Launch events;
- provide and sell baked goods at the annual Christmas NACO charity FanFair;
- work at the Family Adventures children’s concerts;
- assist the NAC Music Department in required office work when needed;
- contribute articles for our Con Brio newsletter;
- sell memberships as needed.
- assisting with the silent auctions before and after concerts;
- selling CD’s before and after concerts;
- assisting at special social events.